Saturday, December 19, 2009

Icky Crickets

Jonathon has a pet gecko that we have to give live crickets to. It's pretty easy, though. We just dump the crickets in his cage and he chows down. At least, that's the way it's supposed to happen. My favorite way to buy them is in a box that you just have to punch a hole in and the crickets escape into the cage one by one.

So last week, I bought a box and left it in the shopping bag on the table so that Jonathon would have the responsibility of feeding his gecko. After the kids got home, Christian brought me the box and asked when I had bought it. I told him and he took the box downstairs. I thought, "Oh good, Christian will feed the gecko. That's okay, too."

The next morning, my mom called me, as she usually does, to find out how I was feeling. After several minutes, I realized I hadn't heard Timmy or Katie for a while, so I went down into the family room to check on them. Timmy was sitting on the piano and Katie was standing next to the desk. Then I saw a spider on the floor and was about to step on it. Then I realized that it was a cricket. I looked at the desk and realized why Timmy was sitting on the piano. I saw about five crickets crawling around on the desk and the cricket box had one side completely open. I wonder if Timmy knew what would happen if he opened the box? He didn't look too thrilled with the result! I wasn't either, since I really don't like creepy, crawly things. Anyway, I very carefully picked up the box and shut it and put it in the gecko's cage. Then I quickly got a stack of cups and started putting cups over any crickets I could see. I caught four, but I knew there were more out there. I put the ones I had caught in the gecko's cage and started moving furniture. I found four more in the corner of the family room by the back door. I caught three, but the fourth escaped into a crack in the wall.

I wonder if Timmy will ever do that again? I don't think I'll give him the chance!

No comments: