Thanksgiving Day was so nice. Not because all of our relatives were elsewhere and we had the day to ourselves. Okay, maybe just a little. But only because that meant that we got a truly relaxing day that I didn't have to clean or entertain or even cook. We ordered dinner from Boston Market and had a delicious meal that I didn't have to do anything to make. Actually, we had a vote at our Family Home Evening. Everyone (except Timmy and Katie) got a say in what we did for dinner. The options were: cook dinner ourselves; get Boston Market but still make pies; or go out to a restaurant. Instead of them voting for their favorite, we had them vote for their least favorite. I'm glad that enough of them didn't want me to cook all day (that was how I said it - maybe I was leading the voters?)
Michael took Jonathon, Christian, and Eliza to see "Bolt." They said it was really funny. Nathaniel didn't want to go because he doesn't like how loud the noise is in the theaters and he wanted to help make pies. Michael called me after it was over and said that he needed me to come and unlock his car. He couldn't find his keys when he left, so he took the spare keys. We have a key to his ignition, but not to the car door on the key ring. So I helped Timmy finish getting dressed, we all got coats and shoes on, got in the car and left to help him out. As I was leaving, I rolled down the window (who knows why now!) and I couldn't get the window to go back up! I drove for about 5 minutes trying to roll it up, meanwhile it was getting pretty cold in the car. I guess Nathaniel should've put on a coat! About that time, Michael called me and said that he remembered he had a spare key in his wallet, for just such an occasion. Thank goodness for cell phones! Too bad he remembered after we left, but I'm glad he remembered before we had gone any farther. It was pretty easy to turn around still. I wasn't even upset. I was more mad about the window!!
So when we got back home, Nathaniel and I made the pumpkin pie filling. As I was rolling out the pie crust, Michael called me and told me not to worry about making a pumpkin pie. Too late. The meals from Boston Market come with a pie and they only had pumpkin left. It's a good thing we like pumpkin pies! I didn't want 5 pies in the house (our plan was to make a pumpkin, blueberry crumb, and apple pie), so we only made the pumpkin pie. We ate as soon as they got home. It was soooooo good! Michael told me that he got two meals, then had to go back in and buy chicken since the turkey doesn't come with legs and that's what Christian wanted.
What was left of the day was very relaxing. The kids watched "Wall-E" while Michael, Timmy, Katie, and I took a nap. Later that evening we played "Apples to Apples" with the kids. The kids were excited because we let them sleep in the living room for the second night in a row.
Just a few of the things we are grateful for: our family, our warm home, our cars, good food, cell phones, coats, movies, naps
No comments:
Post a Comment