Friday, May 28, 2010

Cats or Dogs?

Mandy and I have had a long running “feud” over which is the better pet, cats or dogs. She is more of a cat person, I am (much) more partial to dogs. I even tried to convince her that it would be a great “learning opportunity” for the children if we were to get a dog last year, so they could learn responsibility, to which Mandy made it crystal clear that I was living in a fantasy world, so that subject is officially off the table for the next 20 years or so. So even though this is a somewhat silly discussion because it will be many years before we ever seriously consider obtaining yet another mouth to feed in our home, I thought it important to set the record straight as to who’s right. The following is, of course, a completely objective view of the way things are, my apologies to any cat lovers who may be offended:


Cats:

-Will not play whenever you want, will only do so on their own terms

-Cannot be trained to provide security in your home or to lead the blind

-Have personalities that are too hard to figure out, they can be playful, moody, pouty, annoyed, angry or anything in between. I can't spend that much energy on an emotional relationship with a member of another species

-Will disappear for hours at a time, you don’t know if they are breathing, sleeping, hiding, or secretly plotting nefarious ways to take over your house

-Cause me a potentially life threatening asthma attack whenever I’m around them or if I’m around anybody that’s been around them (probably should be my reason number one for preferring just about any other pet, including a hedgehog)


Dogs:

-Are ready to play whenever, wherever

-Will protect you in the case of an attacker

-Are loyal to a fault

-Can be brought to the park for a picnic, on a hike through the woods, in the car for a ride, on a campout, out for a jog, to the beach to catch frisbees…

-Can be taught many more tricks

-Lassie, Benji, Balto, Old Yeller, Scooby Doo…(need I go on)


I think my aversion to cats goes back well before my allergies got so bad around them. When I was a teenager, we had 3 cats that mainly stayed outdoors. In fact, there were times where we wouldn’t see them for days before they would show up looking for something to eat. However, I remember one instance where I was not feeling very well and was lying down on our living room couch. I don’t remember why, but one of our cats was inside at the time, so I picked it up to lie down next to me. I’m not sure if the cat had a bad dream or was spooked for some reason, but I thought we were both resting comfortably when all of a sudden the cat dug its claws deep into my leg. Afterwards, I decided that would be the last time I would ever try to bond with a feline of any type.


Having said all of this, I’m not completely oblivious of the appeal of cats to some, but when being around them cause the muscles surrounding the airways of the lungs to become tight and the air passages to swell leading to wheezing attacks and long-term shortness of breath that once lasted for 3 weeks, you tend to be somewhat biased against them.

My brother and his wife have cats in their home, I have always wondered if they’re trying to tell me something?

4 comments:

HeatherG said...

Hey Michael, I love your list and detailed explanation of the difference between cats and dogs.



I think I could add to that, since we have 4 cats and one dog. First of all you are right, cats come around on their own time, normally when we are eating chicken or opening a can of tuna. They only want to be pet at the most inopportune times and generally sleep on all the furniture leaving various colors of cat hair to get stuck on the backs of our pants!



The dog we have now is a small dog. We can't leave ANYTHING on the floor that he thinks might be good to chew on. Such as my new pair of shoes, my ipod earbuds, pencils, pens, chapstick and anything else he decides to put in his mouth [actually the house is cleaner because we think twice about leaving "chew" toys on or near the floor]. He also loves to have barking contests with the dog that lives next door. This generally occurs around 11:30pm. The nice thing about him is, he is always ready to play and looks attentively at us wagging his tail waiting for us to throw love his direction. He is leash trained now and while large dogs must be taken on walks, we only take him if we feel like it! He's good either way. He also goes on short car trips and recently went on a day trip to a camping ground where he got knee deep into a river for the first time. We used to have a lot of problems with him getting in the cat litter box and dragging the almond rocha out (that wouldn't be a problem for you since you wouldn't have cats anyway), but we got an automatic litter box so it's always clean now.



I prefer the smaller dog lightyears over the larger dog, but then I'm a cat person too! Care of a small dog is more similar to a cat with the playful, lovable dog benefits. I recommend you get a small dog, I think it would make you and Mandy happy and definitely the kids would love it!!!

Jennifer Lovell said...

If I made a list, it would be all pros for the cat, and all cons for the dog... I'll just say, cats are so soft, and they don't drool on you and they clean up after themselves in the bathroom! But for the sake of my happy childhood memories with our dog pets, I agree with the preference for smaller dogs. They can be really good friends.

John and Kathy said...

Dogs rule!

Shadow is ALWAYS happy to see us. He wags his tale and wimpers aand shakes with excitement when we come home.

The cats act as if they could not care less.

If I am not happy, Shadow will come up to me and cuddle and make me feel better.

The cats go and eat when I feel bad. I suspect they laugh at me too, although, not proven.

Shadow loves coming on car rides with us, playing outside with us, and, well, just being with us.

The cats like to, well, who knows what cats like. Cat people don't even know what cats like. They like power, control, and I believe, if they could, total world domination!

Oh, and by the way, we don't have the cats to keep you away. The cats just won't leave.

John

Rockwell Family said...

NO to cats. . .allergies are one of my reasons also. But, all your other reasons rock too.

I am a dog person all the way. And, I don't consider myself a dog person. I do NOT like the drooling, but no matter what, when your kids are grown, more interested in their friends, and you come home from work, that dog will be right there at the door excited to see you.

Loyalty, baby.