Yesterday, I had to take Jonathon to get his hair cut because today is his 8th grade semi-formal and Michael is out of town. Christian also wanted his hair cut, so I decided to risk taking all of them out. When we got to Hair Cuttery, all of us went in and I gave the hairstylist Jonathon's, Christian's, and Timmy's names. Meanwhile, a lady that was having her haircut was watching us and asked me if they were all mine (by the way, I get that even when I go out with three kids). Then Nathaniel told her that I was pregnant with twins. I don't mind telling people that, but usually only when I'm out with three kids or less. Apparently, Jonathon was embarrassed because he told Nathaniel to be quiet. Well, you can imagine the surprise of everyone within earshot. The hairstylist told us that the wait would be about 30 minutes and that we could take a walk and come back in 20 minutes. Maybe she saw that there weren't enough seats for us to wait or she thought they wouldn't be able to sit that long.
So we walked next door to the supermarket and did a little shopping. By the time we'd gotten to the checkout, Timmy was tired of sitting inside the car part of the shopping cart and started climbing top of it. Ever-helpful Jonathon kept trying to get him off and every time he did, Timmy would scream. By then, I was in a hurry to leave since two ladies that work there were standing nearby just watching. One of them asked me what I was having and I told her two boys. I think she was too stunned to say anything. She was very nice about it though and wished me luck as I was leaving.
The kids behaved better (no screaming or telling each other what to do) once we got back to Hair Cuttery. The bigger kids and I all sat down on the four seats that were available with the youngest on our laps and within 10 minutes Jonathon, Christian, and Timmy were in seats getting their haircuts. They looked great when they were done and since all of them were pretty good, we stopped at McDonald's on the way home.
Michael has made a rule that there is no eating in the big van, so we waited until we got home to eat. I think it's funny that he made the rule, yet when he took the youth on a temple trip last week, they ate breakfast in the van... Maybe now he realizes that it's a lot easier said than done.
2 comments:
I think you're a brave, valiant momma to face the grocery store with any children at all. But, I am also impressed every time I read about your older kids, and how mature they are getting, and being such good helpers for you! I'm glad your outing went as well as it did, all things considered ; ).
They didn't "eat breakfast", they had a couple of munchkin donuts that I brought and a couple of muffins that the Gillespie's made me take because they didn't want to bring them back home. And before I allowed them to open anything, I made it clear to Jonathon that he was directly responsible for cleaning the van once we got home. That seemed to do the trick because I didn't really find any crumbs or anything after everybody left.
Post a Comment