-When I was a kid, we used to buy Hostess chocolate pudding pies, usually as we were collecting our money from our paper routes because we would pass right by a Quick Chek:

I thought they were the greatest thing in the world. I haven't been able to find them for a few years, it seems as though Hostess has significantly limited distribution these days. Recently, my brother Scott found them out in Utah, at a small convenience store. As we all do these days, we checked the nutritional information (or lack thereof), and were mortified to find the following:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Pie
Amount per Serving
Calories 520 Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 24g 37%
Saturated Fat 14g 70%
Trans Fat 1.5g
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 450mg 19%
Total Carbohydrate 72g 24%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 45g
Protein 4g 8%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 8%
Iron 10%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 41.5% Carbs 55.4%
Protein 3.1%
I ate these things in mass quantities as a kid, it's scary to think what my insides probably look like.
-Not sure if your office co-workers are like mine, but whenever there's a gathering during office hours (birthday celebration, baby or wedding shower, retirement, etc) where there's cake, pies, donuts, chips, cookies, brownies, etc, nobody eats it. Everybody stands around and picks at the obligatory fruit or veggie platter, while drinking bottled water. I always feel like I lead the way by diving into the cookies and cake before anybody else, and then, slowly, others decide to join in, but only half of a cookie, or they'll split a tissue-paper thin slice of cake with somebody else. Everybody says things like "Well maybe just a small piece" or "I really shouldn't" or "I'm watching my diet". Inevitably, we leave the gathering with loads of food left over.
However, miraculously, if you go back to where the food was just a couple of hours later, the place looks like a gang of hungry young men came through, with nary a crumb to be found. I wonder where it all goes...
-After over 20 years, I think I've finally figured out how to shave. I could never seem to get it completely right. However, I came across a website on grooming a couple of days ago, with step-by-step instructions. I figured I'd give it a shot and it works! I'm ecstatic, what a revelation! I won't bore you with the details here, but if anyone out there is interested, I'd be happy to share.
-Why do reporters on the evening news feel the need to stand outside in the middle of a hurricane while reporting on how bad the weather is? Duh, it's a hurricane! It's really wet and it's really windy! Do I need to see you courageously struggling to stand upright while delivering your report? My hero! Actually, I'm really not impressed. In fact, I think you're kind of foolish, you should get inside, you could catch a cold out there.
-If there's anybody with any suggestions on how to tame my 2-year old (or my 12-year old, for that matter) long enough to get through scripture study or family home evening where the Spirit would even consider dropping by for just a few minutes, I'm all ears.
-I think my kitchen floor is infested with Cheerios and fishy crackers (Pepperidge Farm). No matter how many times I clean them up, there always seems to be more when I return. I wonder how they get in the house? Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know if there's some way to exterminate them?
And finally..
-In a recent Wall Street Journal article, I read a quote from Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council. He said that currently, "...over 80% of Down Syndrome babies are aborted..." Very sad, I had no clue.
1 comment:
Yesterday in nursey when we gave Timmy his mat to sit on he proceeded to lay on his tummy with his mat on his hinney and through the entire lesson wiggle his little bum! He was quiet but unfortunatly the grownups had a hard time keeping quiet. . . I guess the choice is yours!
Post a Comment