Sunday, February 8, 2009

Taking the Scenic Route

Well, some nut decided it would be OK to let me rent a 5-speed Peugeot for the weekend. I don't speak/read/write/understand any Dutch and I've probably broken about 72 traffic laws since Friday night, but miraculously I (and all of those around me) am still alive.

Even though I've been in Boxmeer for about a week, it took me over an hour and over 20 kilometers to drive the 2 kilometer walk between my hotel and the office. That's because I can walk, more or less, "as the crow flies", a couple of the paths (especially cutting through the train station and over the railroad tracks) are not accessible by car. Driving has certainly been a much different experience than walking. And since I'm not the most expert driver of vehicles with manual transmissions, and have been out of practice for a while, my leg muscles are a bit achy.

And I will never complain again about the layout of NJ roads (well, at least not for a little while). All of you folks from the west that think that the roads in NJ must have been planned by elementary school children, try driving in this part of the Netherlands. You'll be amazed at the simplicity and utter genius of NJ roadway design.

It's a good thing that the company is paying for all the gas I'm burning through.

No comments: